How does obesity affect my sex life?

Judy Caplan
Unfortunately obesity can affect your sex life. In today's society there is a premium on looks. Obesity, while very common, is not considered to be attractive. This stigma can lead an obese person to withdraw from others and not seek out relationships. This isolation can prevent emotional intimacy which can affect one's sex life. Often obesity leads to being physically out of shape as well. Sex is physical and requires one to be able to move. Obesity can be physically restrictive and therefore prevent intimacy and sex.
Ian Kerner, PhD
Sexual Health
Although being obese can have a negative effect on your sex life, it doesn't have to. In this video, sex therapist Ian Kerner explains how obesity does (and does not) affect what happens in the bedroom.

Your sex drive is affected by high blood pressure and diabetes, conditions you’re likely to have if you’re overweight. Additionally, erectile dysfunction can be a problem for as many as 80% of obese and overweight men.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Obesity

Childhood Obesity: The 64-Calorie Solution
My daughter, who’s 13, has started asking a lot of questions about food. She wanted to know, for example, if the mango smoothies she likes have a lot ...
How safe is it for me to have surgery if I am obese?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
According to the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, obesity is increasing in the US. In fact, nearl...
What should I be aware of if I am overweight and need abdominal surgery?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
We all have a fair amount of fatty tissue in our abdominal cavities that surgeons must deal with...
How Our Western Diet Is Making Us Fat
How Our Western Diet Is Making Us Fat