Can my genes make me fat?

Wendy Batts
Fitness
This is absolutely untrue! While genetics may impact how difficult it may be for someone to lose weight compared to another, it will not prevent someone from losing weight. Weight loss is a matter of energy in versus energy out. Specifically, burning more calories than we eat, this is also called a calorie deficit. If you are put in a calorie deficit, you will lose weight, no exceptions. Don’t be discouraged and keep at it. While it may just take a little longer sometimes, it is completely possible!
Jack D. Potter
Fitness

There is no such thing as being “genetically over weight” or having “the fat gene.” These fraises are used to avoid taking personal responsibility for ones actions. “It’s not my fault, I got the fat gene from my mother.” Weight loss and weight gain is nothing more than a mathematical formula. Calories in vs. calories out. If you are having trouble losing weight you might want to start a food journal. Studies have shown that writing down what you’re eating and how many calories will help you see where all the calories are coming from. For example: 5 oz. of broccoli = 48 calories, while 5 oz. of ice cream = 375 calories. Big difference! So start a food journal today.

There is no such thing as genetically being overweight.  There maybe such things that slow down your metabolism but there is nothing that can stop you from losing weight.  Once you learn how much your body burns per day (BMR) you can figure out what you need to burn in exersise compared to what you need to eat.  A lot times it is just lack of information that people don't know what to do to lose weight.  If you are having a hard time see a personal trainer to help you map out your goals and get you right on track.

Please!  The truth is that no one has to live with being fat.  Everyone can absolutely lose weight and there is no such thing as being “genetically doomed.”  Fat is just that horrifically ugly substance that accumulates in areas you would rather hide in your Spanx.  Think of fat as stored food.  When you eat too much, more than your body needs, it stores the food away for a day when it might need it.  Trouble is – you never find yourself needing to dip into those fat stores.  So if you want to get rid of the fat, you need to make a choice.  Reduce your calories or move your butt- or both!  Being thin is a matter of reducing your daily calories or burning them through more activity.  Simply put - eat less, move more.  But first, figure out what’s stopping you.  What is your “it”?  Everyone seems to have one – you know, that “something” stopping you from either cutting your calories or moving more?  And what about that “it” on your body that you would like to change?  Maybe it’s your butt, gutt or thighs?  What is stopping you from taking that next step to living a healthy, active lifestyle?  Is it food?  What pushes you to stuff food in your mouth even though you know you shouldn’t?  Listen – if you want to change your weight issue, it’s time to start living consciously and making decisions about what you eat that will correspond with who you want to be and what you want to look like for the rest of your life!  If you keep letting food rule your world and sitting on your butt all day, it is a proven fact that you will live a less healthy and shorter life. 

This is a common belief and it is perpetuated by science and the media. Scientists try to identify genes and other genetic factors that are linked to obesity in hope of designing drugs or somehow altering genes to “cure” it. To date, there is no evidence to prove there is a genetic problem that would make it impossible for someone to lose weight when they eat fewer calories than they burn. The mechanics of weight loss are quite clear: eat fewer calories than you burn, or put another way, burn more calories than you eat. Often confused as genetics, behavioral patterns are learned from role models; young children of overweight parents are likely to grow up in an environment that is based on lots of poor, tasty food choices and a lack of physical activity. These habits get ingrained at an early age, and it can be a difficult task to change them. However, to date, no one ever has failed to lose weight when they ate fewer calories than they burned. For now, start making wiser food choices, eating smaller portions, and finding ways to increase the activity you do every day.

Continue Learning about Obesity

Childhood Obesity: The 64-Calorie Solution
My daughter, who’s 13, has started asking a lot of questions about food. She wanted to know, for example, if the mango smoothies she likes have a lot ...
What are the symptoms of obesity?
You may first notice obesity through your appearance, your clothes feeling tight, or the scale showi...
What is morbid obesity?
Parham Doctors' Hospital - HCA VirginiaParham Doctors' Hospital - HCA Virginia
Morbid obesity is the second-leading cause of preventable adult death in the United States. Obesity ...
How Do We Better Understand Developing Diseases from Diabetes?