How is polymyositis linked to arthritis?

People with polymyositis often develop the common joint condition known as arthritis. Polymyositis is a disease that produces inflammation in the muscles. The most obvious symptom is muscle weakness. However, inflammation is also known to cause joints to become swollen and painful, the main symptoms of arthritis. Your doctor can prescribe corticosteroids or other drugs to help control inflammation and reduce your symptoms.
Suhail Kumar, MD
Rheumatology

Polymyositis and inflammatory arthritides are consequences of an abnormal immune response.  Release of inflammatory mediators like IL-1 and TNF-a result in inflammation.

Continue Learning about Polymyositis

How can polymyositis affect my heart?
One complication of polymyositis is a potentially serious heart condition known as an arrhythmia. ...
How can polymyositis affect my ability to speak?
Polymyositis may cause you to develop difficulty speaking. Polymyositis is a general term for a gr...
How can polymyositis affect my energy level?
Many people who develop polymyositis complain of shortness of breath and find it difficult to carr...
What new treatments for polymyositis are being studied in clinical trials?
Scientists are studying various new approaches to treating polymyositis. For example, ongoing clin...