Are bleeding gums during pregnancy normal?

Many pregnant women develop a condition called pregnancy gingivitis; the gums are swollen and bleed easily. This is caused by the hormonal changes taking place in your body. See your dentist promptly if this occurs.
What you are describing is known as pregnancy gingivitis, which is very common in women who are expecting. This condition may appear as early as the first trimester. When an increase in hormones can exaggerate the way your gum tissues react to plaque -- the major cause of gum disease. You may notice that your gums bleed a little when you brush or floss. If untreated, gingivitis can lead to more serious forms of gum disease, affecting the gums and bone that anchor teeth in place. You can prevent gingivitis by keeping your teeth clean. Your dentist may recommend more frequent cleanings during your second or early third trimester to help control gingivitis. If you notice any changes in your mouth during pregnancy, see your dentist.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy and Oral Health

What dental medications are safe to take while I am nursing?
If you take medications, a very small amount of your dosage (roughly 1% to 2%) may be passed on to y...
Is it okay to use mouthwashes with alcohol in them if I am pregnant?
There is not enough information to determine if pregnant women can safely use mouthwashes with alcoh...
Do pregnant women need to visit the dentist?
Roughly 6 million women become pregnant each year and at least half of them will visit their dentist...
How can I prevent dental problems before pregnancy?
It is certainly possible to prevent dental problems like cavities, gingivitis, and periodontitis bef...