Are bleeding gums during pregnancy normal?

What you are describing is known as pregnancy gingivitis, which is very common in women who are expecting. This condition may appear as early as the first trimester. When an increase in hormones can exaggerate the way your gum tissues react to plaque -- the major cause of gum disease. You may notice that your gums bleed a little when you brush or floss. If untreated, gingivitis can lead to more serious forms of gum disease, affecting the gums and bone that anchor teeth in place. You can prevent gingivitis by keeping your teeth clean. Your dentist may recommend more frequent cleanings during your second or early third trimester to help control gingivitis. If you notice any changes in your mouth during pregnancy, see your dentist.
Many pregnant women develop a condition called pregnancy gingivitis; the gums are swollen and bleed easily. This is caused by the hormonal changes taking place in your body. See your dentist promptly if this occurs.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy and Oral Health

Is calcium lost from my teeth if I am pregnant?
A common myth surrounding pregnancy is that the body takes away calcium from the teeth because it ha...
What dental medications are safe to take while I am nursing?
If you take medications, a very small amount of your dosage (roughly 1% to 2%) may be passed on to y...
Can stress while I am pregnant affect my oral health?
People who experience stress, whether it is financial, work, or family-related, are at increased the...
Can pregnancy make me susceptible to gingivitis?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Some women develop a condition known as “pregnancy gingivitis,” an inflammation of the gums that can...