Why is additional iron recommended during pregnancy?

Because a mom transfers about 1,000 milligrams (mg) of iron to a growing baby and increases her total number of red blood cells by 20% to 30%, it's important to get adequate iron during pregnancy.

Aim for this amount: 20 mg twice a day.

Our bodies - and our babies - use huge amounts of iron while we are pregnant. During pregnancy, your baby uses iron to make red blood cells and absorbs all the iron she or he will get for the first six months of life. If you do not get enough iron in your diet, you may become anemic and the baby may have less stored iron after birth. To prevent this, it is recommended that we each get 27 milligrams of iron every day during pregnancy. Getting this much iron is pretty easy. Just eat a portion or two a day of iron-rich foods, like meat, seafood, eggs, soy beans, lentils, black-eyed peas, greens, beets, sweet potatoes, dried fruits like raisins and prunes, molasses, and iron-fortified breakfast cereals. Cooking foods in cast-iron pans can add iron to the foods.

It is normal to be slightly anemic during the second trimester of pregnancy; our bodies can handle this without difficulty. But if you start pregnancy with too few iron stores, the demands of pregnancy can worsen anemia to the point that it becomes a problem for you and your growing baby.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth

ALL THE INFORMATION YOU NEED TO MAKE WISE DECISIONS ABOUT YOUR PREGNANCY AND THE BIRTH OF YOUR CHILD -- FROM THE EDITORS OF THE CLASSIC "BIBLE OF WOMEN'S HEALTH" Pregnancy and birth are as ordinary...
Because a pregnant mom transfers about 1,000 milligrams of iron to a growing baby and increases her total number of red blood cells by 20 to 30 percent, it's important to get adequate iron during pregnancy.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Nutrition & Pregnancy

What You Eat During Pregnancy Influences Your Child’s Food Choices Later in Life
We know moms-to-be are aware of the importance of staying healthy for themselves and the health of their baby, but it’s easy to overlook how powerful ...
How can low folic acid levels affect my baby if I am pregnant?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
Some Americans, including a fair number of women of childbearing age, don't get enough of folic acid...
What fruits should I eat while pregnant?
Sarah KriegerSarah Krieger
Absolutely! The more variety of fruits (without added sugar), the better. There are studies that hav...
What Are the Most Important Nutrients to Get During Pregnancy?