What is the cause of specific food cravings during pregnancy?

Many women have strong desires for specific foods during pregnancy. The desire for "pickles and ice cream" and other cravings might be caused by changes in nutritional needs during pregnancy. The fetus needs nourishment. And a woman's body absorbs and processes nutrients differently while pregnant. These changes help ensure normal development of the baby and fill the demands of breastfeeding once the baby is born.

Some women crave nonfood items such as clay, ice, laundry starch, or cornstarch. A desire to eat nonfood items is called pica (PYE-KUH). Eating nonfood items can be harmful to your pregnancy. Talk to your doctor if you have these urges.

This answer is based on source information from The U.S Department of Human Services Office on Womens Health.  

Continue Learning about Food Safety & Pregnancy

Can I Drink Alcohol During Pregnancy?
Can I Drink Alcohol During Pregnancy?
Is It Safe to Drink Green Tea During Pregnancy?