What is the cause of specific food cravings during pregnancy?

Deborah Davis
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
A woman's taste preferences change throughout pregnancy and these changes may affect what she chooses to eat. Most pregnant women tend to have a greater affinity for sweets, especially chocolate. Scientists think this could be caused by an increased need for calories during pregnancy.

Many women have strong desires for specific foods during pregnancy. The desire for "pickles and ice cream" and other cravings might be caused by changes in nutritional needs during pregnancy. The fetus needs nourishment. And a woman's body absorbs and processes nutrients differently while pregnant. These changes help ensure normal development of the baby and fill the demands of breastfeeding once the baby is born.

Some women crave nonfood items such as clay, ice, laundry starch, or cornstarch. A desire to eat nonfood items is called pica (PYE-KUH). Eating nonfood items can be harmful to your pregnancy. Talk to your doctor if you have these urges.

This answer is based on source information from The U.S Department of Human Services Office on Womens Health.  

Continue Learning about Food Safety & Pregnancy

Who should be careful eating foods that are high in fatty acids?
Children and pregnant women are advised by the United States Food and Drug Administration to avoid g...
Can I drink alcohol during pregnancy?
There is no known safe level of alcohol that you can consume during your pregnancy. Heavy alcohol co...
What foods should I eat during pregnancy?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
It is important to eat a balanced, varied diet when pregnant. You want to get the widest range of nu...
What specific foods should I avoid if I am pregnant?
Melissa Joy DobbinsMelissa Joy Dobbins
Certain foods should be avoided during pregnancy: Fish that contains high levels of mercury such ...