How do I know if I'm on the right dose of Lyrica?

Making sure you're taking the right dose of Lyrica may involve working with your doctor to determine what's best for you. Typically, people with fibromyalgia begin by taking 75 milligrams (mg) of Lyrica twice a day for about a week while being monitored carefully by a doctor. If you are able to tolerate this amount of Lyrica, your doctor may increase your dose to 150 mg twice a day, or 300 mg per day total. If this dose doesn't relieve your fibromyalgia symptoms adequately, your doctor may increase your dose to 225 mg twice a day, or 450 mg per day total.

People who are taking Lyrica to help prevent partial onset seizures might take Lyrica two or three times a day for a total daily dose ranging from 150 mg to 600 mg. If you have kidney problems, your doctor may recommend lower doses of Lyrica.

Talk to your doctor or pharmacist for more information about the benefits and side effects of Lyrica.
Your doctor will monitor your response closely to make sure you're taking the right dose of Lyrica. He or she will take into account how well the medication is working (its "efficacy") as well as whether or not you're experiencing any side effects.

What you're being treated for is also an important factor when determining the correct dose. Here are the recommended doses of Lyrica based on condition:
  • For fibromyalgia, the recommended dose is 300 to 450 milligrams (mg) per day, divided into two equal doses.
  • To control seizures, the recommended dose ranges from 150 to 600 mg per day, divided into two or three equal doses (and used in combination with other medications)
  • To relieve pain due to the viral infection shingles, the recommended dose is 150 to 300 mg per day, divided among two or three equal doses.
  • For pain due to nerve damage caused by diabetes, the maximum recommended dose is 300 mg a day.
Your doctor may start you on a lower dose of Lyrica than you might eventually need. If you tolerate that amount well, he or she might increase your dose for optimum effectiveness. For more information about Lyrica, talk to your doctor or your pharmacist.

Continue Learning about Medications to Treat Fibromyalgia

What sleep medications are used for fibromyalgia?
Doctors who treat fibromyalgia rely on a variety of different medications to help their patients cop...
Does pregabalin interact with any other drugs?
If you are taking an ACE inhibitor, a central nervous system depressant, rufinamide, or a selective ...
What Are My Options for Fibromyalgia Treatment?
Hate Breaking a Sweat? Try Swimming
Hate Breaking a Sweat? Try Swimming