Should I avoid yeast and gluten if I have fibromyalgia?

These two ingredients are not the same, but they appear in a lot of the same foods, especially baked goods like cake, donuts, and bread. So, if you cut out one, usually it means you are cutting out both. While anecdotal reports detail that this may be helpful to some people, research has yet to confirm this.

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
There is no research suggesting you should avoid yeast or gluten as part of your management of fibromyalgia, despite the number of websites claiming a connection between yeast and/or gluten and fibromyalgia. Anecdotal evidence has linked an overgrowth of yeast with fibromyalgia, but experts have not confirmed a connection between the two. The same goes for gluten, a wheat protein found in many baked goods, which can be a problem for people with an allergy to gluten, also known as celiac disease.
Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

If you have fibromyalgia and you're considering cutting out yeast and gluten, talk to your doctor first. Yeast is an important ingredient in many baked goods and in beer, while gluten is a protein in wheat, rye, and barley. Some people can't tolerate yeast and gluten. In particular, people with celiac disease develop gastrointestinal problems and other symptoms if they consume foods containing gluten.

If you look around on the internet you may find sites claiming that fibromyalgia is actually undiagnosed celiac disease. One survey found that a significant number of people with celiac disease were initially diagnosed as having fibromyalgia. But that doesn't mean that you need to cut out gluten or yeast if you have fibromyalgia. If you're having stomach problems or other unexplained symptoms, tell your doctor.

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia and Diet

How does caffeine affect fibromyalgia?
There's no evidence that caffeine aggravates fibromyalgia -- but too much of the stuff can cause dip...
Are sugary foods bad for people with fibromyalgia?
Jacob TeitelbaumJacob Teitelbaum
Sugar can increase blood sugar swings associated with adrenal fatigue, and these drops in blood suga...
How do omega-3 fatty acids help reduce fibromyalgia pain?
In a very small preliminary study involving people with nerve impingement syndromes, burn injuries, ...
Can My Diet Affect My Fibromyalgia?
Can My Diet Affect My Fibromyalgia?