How may my body image after childbirth affect my sexual desire?

Hilda Y. Hutcherson, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

It’s true: Once you have a baby, your body changes. I’m not even talking about those extra pounds -- even if you get back to your pre-pregnancy weight, the landscape of your body has been altered. Your hips are a little wider. Your belly isn’t as flat as it used to be. Your breasts aren’t quite as perky. These transformations can all contribute to lower self-esteem, and that can take a toll on your libido. What doesn’t change? Your vagina. It’s a myth that childbirth stretches you out permanently. So don’t worry that you or your partner won’t enjoy sex as much as before. Your vagina will return to normal, especially if you do Kegel exercises to strengthen surrounding muscles. All told, your concerns about your body can harm your sex life more than any changes to your body itself.

The Good in Bed Guide to Sex and the Baby Years

Available at a substantial discount for a limited time only, thanks to support from K-Y(R) Brand!Once you get down to the business of baby-making, the advice will pour in: books, magazines, in-laws,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

What experiences can I go through during pregnancy?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
If you are pregnant, during the coming nine months, you will experience enormous physical and emotio...
Is it possible to be pregnant and not know until delivery?
Although rare, it is possible to be pregnant and not be aware of it. There are different explanation...
How does thyroid function affect pregnancy?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
You should have your thyroid hormones checked by your doctor prior to pregnancy. If it is well contr...
8 Breastfeeding Questions You’re Too Afraid to Ask
8 Breastfeeding Questions You’re Too Afraid to Ask8 Breastfeeding Questions You’re Too Afraid to Ask8 Breastfeeding Questions You’re Too Afraid to Ask8 Breastfeeding Questions You’re Too Afraid to Ask
Can you really pump and dump? And can you drink caffeine and breastfeed? Among the host of questions new mothers face, many revolve around breastfeedi...