What does a high Apgar score mean for my newborn baby?

The Apgar score is a scoring system used to assess newborn babies after delivery. It includes five different parameters to assess overall health: A) activity, P) pulse, G) grimace, A) appearance and R) respirations. The initial test is done at 1 minute after birth and the second is done at 5 minutes after birth. A high initial score means that birth was tolerated well, and a high second score implies that the infant is tolerating life outside of the womb well.
Dianne Parker
Dianne Parker on behalf of MDLIVE
Pediatrics
Apgar scores are measured at one and five minutes after birth. Scoring is based on heart rate, respiratory effort, color, reflexes, and muscle tone. High scores indicate a healthy baby adjusting to extrauterine life.

Continue Learning about What Will Happen After Delivery & Pregnancy

What do newborns look like?
Ian Holzman, MDIan Holzman, MD
Newborns come in many shapes, sizes and colors! They can have a fair amount of hair or very little a...
How long will I stay in the hospital after giving birth?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
The length of a hospital stay after giving birth will depend on the type of delivery a woman had. If...
Why is it important to remove the remaining placenta from the uterus?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Sometimes there is a delay in the delivery of the placenta after the baby has been born. In other in...
Why do I feel hot just before delivery?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
Transition is the stage of labor just before it is time to push the baby out and mom is usually arou...