How can fertility drugs help me conceive?

Benjamin Sandler, MD
Reproductive Endocrinology

A number of studies have confirmed a significantly improved pregnancy rate with injectable medications that stimulate "superovulation." This improvement in pregnancy rate is primarily a result of the increased number of eggs produced. "Fertility drugs," including Gonal-F and Follistim, are administered beginning on the second or third cycle day and are given for six to nine consecutive days. Response to these drugs is monitored by frequent vaginal ultrasounds and blood estrogen determinations. At a time in the cycle when the ovarian follicles reach a designated size and estrogen levels are appropriate, an injection of the hormone HCG is given to trigger ovulation. Ovulation usually occurs 36-48 hours after the HCG injection. Thus, intercourse or insemination should be timed accordingly.

Continue Learning about Prior To Conception

What are follicles?
Julia Schlam EdelmanJulia Schlam Edelman
The ovaries in a female fetus can contain up to two million follicles, tiny cysts that may devel...
How can worrying about conceiving affect my sex life?
Hilda Y. Hutcherson, MDHilda Y. Hutcherson, MD
When conception doesn’t happen as quickly as you would like, things can get pretty stressful, pretty...
How Soon After Having My Lap Band Removed Can I Try to Get Pregnant?
4 Natural Fertility Boosters to Help You Get Pregnant