Can I take antibiotics for a dental procedure if I am pregnant?

Some antibiotics prescribed for dental procedures are considered safe if you are pregnant, others are not. Relatively safe antibiotics for use in pregnant women include penicillin, amoxicillin, and cephalexin, which are all rated as "category B" by the FDA and may be your dentist's first choice. The antifungal medication metronidazole is also rated B and may be prescribed for thrush. If you are allergic to penicillin, your dentist might give you erythromycin base (not erythromycin estolate) or clindamycin, both of which are also considered category B.

Dentists should avoid using the fluoroquinoline class of antibiotics;also chloramphenicol (rated X), doxycycline (rated D), or garamycin (rated C).

Continue Learning about Pregnancy and Oral Health

Should I see a dentist if I have a tooth ache and I am pregnant?
If you experience a toothache while pregnant, call your dentist and tell him or her what you are fee...
Is it okay to use mouthwashes with alcohol in them if I am pregnant?
There is not enough information to determine if pregnant women can safely use mouthwashes with alcoh...
Does my dentist need to know if I am trying to become pregnant?
If you are planning to have a baby, both your doctor and your dentist should know. Learn from our ...