Do pregnant women need to visit the dentist?

Yes, you should continue to see your dentist during pregnancy for oral examinations and professional teeth cleaning. Tell your dentist that you are pregnant and about any changes you have noticed in your oral health. Good daily care is key to your oral health. To help prevent tooth decay and gum disease, always brush your teeth twice a day and clean between your teeth once a day, eat a balanced diet and limit between-meal snacks.

Roughly 6 million women become pregnant each year and at least half of them will visit their dentist. More should. Seeing a dentist during pregnancy is a good idea because your dentist can take steps to prevent or treat gingivitis or periodontitis, which has been known to increase risk for premature delivery.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy and Oral Health

Can I have a dental x-ray if I'm pregnant?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Being pregnant comes with many responsibilities -- and oral hygiene is no exception. For most women,...
Can periodontal disease cause preeclampsia?
Some research suggests that periodontal disease in pregnant women can be a risk factor for preeclamp...
What dental medications are safe to take while I am nursing?
If you take medications, a very small amount of your dosage (roughly 1% to 2%) may be passed on to y...
Are dental anesthetics safe for pregnant women?
Dental anesthetics in pregnant women are thought to be generally safe. The anesthetics dentists usua...