Can I go to the dentist while I am pregnant?

If you are pregnant, you need to be extra diligent with your oral hygiene. Listen as Dr. Maria Lopez Howell explains why pregnancy can sometimes make women more susceptible to tooth decay.

Swollen and bleeding gums are common problems during pregnancy, so proper dental care is important. Don’t hesitate to see your dentist for any problems that occur. Just make sure your dentist knows you are pregnant so proper precautions can be taken for any X-rays or medications. Frequent brushing, flossing, and eating a proper diet can minimize your dental problems overall during pregnancy.
If you need to schedule a dental visit during your pregnancy, it is best to set up the appointment during your second trimester, and any dental procedures that can wait until after your pregnancy should. Dental visits during the first trimester are discouraged because this phase of development is incredibly important for your baby and medications or unnecessary stress could affect its health. The third trimester should be avoided simply to decrease the risk of premature delivery. However, you should receive emergency dental treatment regardless of your pregnancy in order to avoid infection and unnecessary stress. Your dentist can take steps to ensure the safety of you and your baby. This usually means avoiding X-rays and unnecessary medication. If an X-ray is absolutely necessary, there are X-ray options that use less radiation as well as extra precautions your dentist can take to ensure the safety of your baby. If you have a dental emergency, contact your dentist immediately to receive proper treatment.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy and Oral Health

How do I treat dry mouth if I'm pregnant?
A dentist or doctor can determine if dry mouth, or xerostomia, is the result of dehydration, hypergl...
What dental medications are not safe to take if I am pregnant?
You should avoid taking sedatives in the class of drugs called benzodiazepines. These include midazo...
Do pregnant women lose teeth during or after delivery?
This is simply not true. While the developing fetus does in fact need calcium, protein, and other nu...
Are bleeding gums during pregnancy normal?
Many pregnant women develop a condition called pregnancy gingivitis; the gums are swollen and bleed ...