Why is there a lump in my baby's skin near the belly button?

The umbilical artery that connected mom and child passes thru the abdominal wall. After the cord has healed, a gap may remain through which the digestive organs may protrude, causing pain and creating an umbilical hernia. These usually close by themselves within a few years, but a doctor should check it out to make sure there aren't any trapped intestines.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

What You Need to Know About Miscarriages
At least ten percent of all known pregnancies will end in miscarriage, according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). Pr...
What causes polyhydramnios?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Polyhydramnios has many possible causes. It can result from a pre-existing condition in the mother, ...
How do I know if methotrexate is the right treatment for ectopic pregnancy?
Stephen K. Montoya, MDStephen K. Montoya, MD
Many criteria involve choosing between surgery and use of methotrexate for ectopic pregnancy, says S...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children