How can I prevent varicose veins during pregnancy?

Varicose veins are a common complaint in pregnancy, and they result from increased pressure in the veins—the major veins in the lower pelvis pushing down into the legs. That pressure tends to break down the vessel walls and cause varicose veins. Now once those walls have broken down, they're going to be that way forever, unless the veins are stripped out and repaired surgically somehow. So to try to limit the amount of varicose veins you get, you can elevate your legs while you are sitting down and relaxing, and you can wear support hose that you can get at any pharmacy to put pressure back on those veins and push that pressure back up into the pelvis.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

What You Need to Know About Miscarriages
At least ten percent of all known pregnancies will end in miscarriage, according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). Pr...
How can I avoid pregnancy complications if I have migraines?
Dr. Dawn MarcusDr. Dawn Marcus
The best way to reduce your risk of rare pregnancy-related complications if you have migraines is to...
What is a pregnancy mask?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
Because of hormonal changes in a pregnant woman, the skin on her face will sometimes darken, for...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children