How does placental abruption affect my child?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

During placental abruption, the baby is not able to get enough oxygen because the placenta has come away from the uterine wall. This could lead to shock. Shock can sometimes end in fetal death. Fetal death occurs in 1 out of 800 or 1,600 affected births. Infants who survive the birth have a 40-50 percent chance of prematurity complications. Depending on the severity of the placental abruption, a doctor may prescribe a medication to speed your child's lung growth in preparation for this early delivery and to help mitigate the complications afterward.

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

A placenta abruption is the premature separation of the placenta from the uterine wall. As a result the fetus' source of nutrients and oxygen is lost. The fetus will exhibit signs of fetal distress and is at risk for perinatal asphyxia, potential neurologic damage and even death.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy Complications

Everything You Need to Know About This High-Risk Pregnancy Condition
Although it’s relatively uncommon, affecting just 3.4 percent of pregnancies in the US each year, preeclampsia is a complication that can have serious...
How can high blood glucose during pregnancy affect my baby?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Studies have shown that you can have a healthy baby if your blood glucose levels are in the targ...
How can I prevent anemia during pregnancy?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
You can help prevent anemia during pregnancy by taking a daily prenatal vitamin with iron. It is als...
Healthy Pregnancy Weight, Healthier Adult Children