What is fetal programming?

Fetal programming refers to changes in gene expression that affect the growth and functioning of the placenta, the amazing organ that filters nutrients, oxygen, and waste between mother and baby.

If a mother's genes for placental growth are turned off and the father's genes get expressed, a thicker, richer placenta develops and channels more nutrients to the fetus. This puts more strain on the mother, both because it deprives her of nutrition she needs to remain healthy and causes her to carry a larger baby, which is associated with a host of risks.

If, instead, the mother's genes get expressed, a smaller placenta develops and fewer nutrients get to the baby. In this case, the mother is protecting her interests—if the baby doesn't make it, she can always try again.

Fetal programming also occurs when a baby is malnourished in utero—either because mom doesn't eat properly during her pregnancy or because environmental toxins compromise the placenta's ability to deliver adequate nutrition. In either case, you get the same result: A smaller baby.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Placenta & Fetal Development

What effect does the mother's health have on the placenta?
One of the reasons we care so much about a mother's health during pregnancy is because it will influ...
What are fetal maturity tests?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
Fetal maturity tests are diagnostic procedures to evaluate the readiness of the fetus for extrauteri...
What can I do to improve my placental function?
There aren't a whole lot of products out there that really tout their placental benefits so you may ...
Do identical twins have a shared placenta?
Linda S. Katz, MDLinda S. Katz, MD
For identical twins, having a shared placenta depends on where the egg divides. Watch me explain why...