What is responsible for the earliest fetal movements?

Interestingly, since the spinal cord is further advanced in development than the brain for most of your pregnancy, it's responsible for the fetal movements and reflexes you feel as kicks. In the last few months of pregnancy, the hemispheres of the brain grow and thicken and start taking more control over the rest of the baby's body.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Placenta & Fetal Development

Why is the placenta important?
Methodist HospitalMethodist Hospital
The placenta separates at birth, triggering the uterus to contract and for the breasts to start prod...
How does the placenta function?
The placenta basically functions like this: Mom's blood flows into the blood lake on her side of the...
What can I do to improve my placental function?
There aren't a whole lot of products out there that really tout their placental benefits so you may ...
How does the placenta form?
The general rule about organ development is that all of your organs are formed in utero and that's t...