What should I know about recovering from a miscarriage?

If you have had a miscarriage (even a complete miscarriage) or one is to be expected, you should know that your body may recover within hours or days. For at least two weeks, don't use tampons and avoid sex. Pelvic rest is important during this time of recovery. Also be aware of signs of complications: fever, chills, and excessive bleeding and pain. Seek medical attention if these symptoms are present. Finally, allow yourself to experience grief and other emotions associated with the loss of the pregnancy. Lean on friends and family at this time or join a support group to help you deal with the miscarriage.

Continue Learning about Miscarriage

How can I cope with my pregnancy loss?
Kevin W. Windom, MDKevin W. Windom, MD
Every person is different with how they grieve from a miscarriage.  Some women grieve a miscarriage ...
What is intrauterine fetal demise?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
An intrauterine fetal demise is when the fetus dies while in the uterus. Prior to the diagnosis, the...
If I'm Pregnant, Should I Be Worried About Spotting?
Do Women Get Pregnant More Often than They Used To?