What should I know about recovering from a miscarriage?

If you have had a miscarriage (even a complete miscarriage) or one is to be expected, you should know that your body may recover within hours or days. For at least two weeks, don't use tampons and avoid sex. Pelvic rest is important during this time of recovery. Also be aware of signs of complications: fever, chills, and excessive bleeding and pain. Seek medical attention if these symptoms are present. Finally, allow yourself to experience grief and other emotions associated with the loss of the pregnancy. Lean on friends and family at this time or join a support group to help you deal with the miscarriage.

Continue Learning about Miscarriage

What is the difference between a complete and incomplete miscarriage?
A complete miscarriage is one in which pregnancy-related tissue have come out of the uterus. This ty...
Do multiple miscarriages mean infertility?
Evelyn Minaya, MDEvelyn Minaya, MD
Multiple miscarriages can be traumatic, but it's one thing to lose a pregnancy and another to not be...
Does a Miscarriage Affect the Ability to Conceive Again?
If I'm Pregnant, Should I Be Worried About Spotting?