Is it possible to have a miscarriage without knowing it?

Robert J. Fagnant, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Miscarriages are relatively common. As a matter of fact, up to 50% of all pregnancies can end in some sort of miscarriage. Most of the time, that happens extremely early in pregnancy, and most women feel it's just a heavy menses or a heavy period, that their period is a day or two late. If a pregnancy goes beyond a month, then the chance of miscarriage is maybe 15% or so. And even in those cases, you can miscarry and not know it. Get beyond about 8 or 12 weeks, then you can still miscarry. Sometimes what will happen is an event will happen inside the womb, and the baby cannot survive that event. It can cause cramping, it can cause bleeding, and it can also go unnoticed for several weeks. That's why it's important to keep your appointments with your OB doctor even if everything is OK.

Continue Learning about Miscarriage

Will an inevitable miscarriage become a complete miscarriage?
An inevitable miscarriage is one that is expected to happen. A woman who is experiencing one, would ...
What is intrauterine fetal demise?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
An intrauterine fetal demise is when the fetus dies while in the uterus. Prior to the diagnosis, the...
If I'm Pregnant, Should I Be Worried About Spotting?
Do Multiple Miscarriages Mean Infertility?