Why am I so hungry during pregnancy?

One of the reasons why you may be feeling a little hungry is because the hormone leptin—which controls hunger—is a little off during pregnancy. Receptors in the brain work to suppress chemicals that suppress your hunger—thus causing you to become more hungry, to ensure that you will eat enough to get your baby more nutrients.

YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Health & Pregnancy

Why is prenatal care important?
Prenatal care is important to: Provide education about healthy behaviors during pregnancy. Monit...
How is group B strep infection treated during pregnancy?
Group B strep infection, which is a growth of streptococcal bacteria in the vagina, is usually treat...
Are there alternative treatments for pregnancy symptoms?
A number of different alternative treatments are available to help treat the nausea and vomiting of ...
Is it safe to wear a car seat belt during pregnancy?
Stephen Clark, DOStephen Clark, DO
Safety during pregnancy is important. As a woman, you form the perfect protector for that baby a...