Q

Health & Pregnancy

Why am I so hungry during pregnancy?

• A , Internal Medicine, answered
    One of the reasons why you may be feeling a little hungry is because the hormone leptin - which controls hunger - is a little off during pregnancy. Receptors in the brain work to suppress chemicals that suppress your hunger - thus causing you to become more hungry, to ensure that you will eat enough to get your baby more nutrients.
  • A OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology), answered on behalf of
    Why Am I so Hungry During Pregnancy?
    The placenta plays a role in hunger in pregnant women. Deborah Bowers, MD from Reston Hospital Center describes just how the placenta uses sugar and why pregnant women are always hungry in this video.
    Why Am I So Hungry During Pregnancy?
    Pregnancy requires a higher caloric intake, so pregnant women often feel hungrier, says Sonia Ceballos, MD, of MountainView Hospital. Watch this video to learn more about hunger during pregnancy.
    Why Am I So Hungry During Pregnancy?
    Watch Mark Hyde, MD, an OB/GYN with Johnston-Willis Hospital, dispel the “eating for two” myth and explain why changes in appetite are normal during pregnancy.
    Why Am I so Hungry During Pregnancy?
    Jerry Lucas, MD from Chippenham Hospital, dispels the "eating for two" myth in this video and hunger during pregnancy should stay at the same level as pre-pregnancy.
  • A Family Medicine, answered on behalf of
    Why Am I So Hungry During Pregnancy?
    Eating for two is a common myth of pregnancy. Watch this video with Robyn D. Stewart, DO from Parkland Medical Center, to find out why being hungry during pregnancy isn't always true.
    Why am I so hungry during pregnancy?
    Hunger during pregnancy is common because the body needs extra calories for energy, says Nancy Rector-Finney, MD, with Methodist Children's hospital. In this video, she discusses the importance of extra calories while being cautious of overeating.
  • A , Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered
    While you may fight many battles during pregnancy, there's one battle in particular, which takes place deep inside your brain, that has lifelong implications. In a nutshell, your body regulates the way you eat through the communication between two hunger-related hormones: leptin (the superhero) and ghrelin (the evil Twinkie-loving villain). If you can learn to increase leptin by eating good foods, you'll score a knockout victory in the battle between your tummy and your tongue.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
What minerals should I take while pregnant?