Why am I so hungry during pregnancy?

One of the reasons why you may be feeling a little hungry is because the hormone leptin—which controls hunger—is a little off during pregnancy. Receptors in the brain work to suppress chemicals that suppress your hunger—thus causing you to become more hungry, to ensure that you will eat enough to get your baby more nutrients.

YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...
Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)
While you may fight many battles during pregnancy, there's one battle in particular, which takes place deep inside your brain, that has lifelong implications. In a nutshell, your body regulates the way you eat through the communication between two hunger-related hormones: leptin (the superhero) and ghrelin (the evil Twinkie-loving villain). If you can learn to increase leptin by eating good foods, you'll score a knockout victory in the battle between your tummy and your tongue.

Continue Learning about Health & Pregnancy

Pregnancy Strains the Heart—Here’s How to Protect Yours
Each day your heart beats about 100,000 times and pumps roughly 2,000 gallons of blood throughout your body. During pregnancy, it works harder to pump...
What questions should I ask my doctor about my pregnancy?
Review the following questions about pregnancy so you're prepared to discuss this important health i...
10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked
10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked
Can you drink coffee? Should you avoid your cat? An OBGYN weighs in. 
Is It Safe to Use Herbal Medicines During Pregnancy?