Why is it dangerous to gain too much weight early in pregnancy?

Paula Greer
Midwifery Nursing

Gaining too much weight early in pregnancy increases your risk for two pregnancy-related conditions, says nurse midwife Paula Greer. Find out what they are by watching this video.

Gaining a too much weight early in pregnancy throws off the metabolic environment of your baby. Such early weight gain makes the fetus think that you are storing weight because a famine is coming, so early weight gain actually increases the risk of preterm delivery substantially. Another risk of gaining too much weight too soon in pregnancy is developing gestational diabetes.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Health & Pregnancy

5 Things You Definitely Shouldn’t Do When You’re Pregnant
When you’re expecting a baby, everyone’s an expert, from the elderly lady at the grocery store who scolds you for wearing yoga pants to the Facebook f...
What questions should I ask my doctor about my pregnancy?
Review the following questions about pregnancy so you're prepared to discuss this important health i...
10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked
10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked
Can you drink coffee? Should you avoid your cat? An OBGYN weighs in. 
How a Cryptic Pregnancy Can Occur
How a Cryptic Pregnancy Can Occur