How do I obtain medical care while pregnant if I'm uninsured?

Finding appropriate medical care and services can be difficult if you do not have health insurance. You may be eligible for Medicaid: Eligibility requirements in all states are expanded for pregnant women, and there is a special program called presumptive eligibility that pays for medical care for pregnant women whose applications have not yet been approved. To find out if you are eligible for Medicaid, contact your state office.

Many states have special health care insurance for pregnant women who do not have other insurance and are not eligible for Medicaid. Your local medical assistance, welfare, social services, or public health office can help you find a clinic that will offer you care or refer you to an insurance program that is available to you.

One program available everywhere in the United States is the Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) program, a federal supplemental food program. WIC provides milk, fruit, cereal, juice, cheese, and eggs, and offers some prenatal and breast-feeding education. The program may be housed in the local health department, schools, or free clinics. It is available to everyone and is often the best place to start when you're looking for affordable prenatal care. People in the WIC office can refer you to health care providers and other programs and services that are available to you during pregnancy.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Health & Pregnancy

Should I avoid caffeine and alcohol during pregnancy?
Chippenham Hospital - HCA VirginiaChippenham Hospital - HCA Virginia
Caffeine may be ingested in moderation during pregnancy, however, alcohol should be avoided.
What is a normal blood sugar level for a pregnant woman?
For a fasting blood test (no food within eight hours), blood sugar should be under 95 mg/dL. (Normal...
Is hypothroidism dangerous during pregnancy?
Hypothyroidism can affect your unborn baby. Watch this video to learn what you can do to avoid c...
What can I do if I have bacterial vaginosis during pregnancy?
Riverside Women's HealthRiverside Women's Health
During pregnancy, your baby is protected from many illnesses, like the common cold or a passing stom...