How can I be active during pregnancy?

Pregnant women should be able to continue most of their usual physical activities during pregnancy. However, there are a few precautions that should be taken. First of all, check with your doctor if you have any medical conditions during pregnancy and whether it is advised that you avoid certain activities. Secondly, avoid the supine (on your back) position after the first trimester. Thirdly, make sure that you are well-hydrated and avoid overheating during exercise. Finally, avoid any activities that may risk injury through contact or falls such as high impact sports, horseriding, and skiing. The most important thing regarding activity during pregnancy is to listen to your body. Some days you may feel more energetic and other days you may just need rest and it is important to tailor your workouts to how you are feeling.

Continue Learning about Health & Pregnancy

Why is it important to drink water when pregnant?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Drinking water is important for a pregnant woman's overall health and that of the developing bab...
Is sexual intercourse in the third trimester safe?
Dr. Madeleine M. Castellanos, MDDr. Madeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Having sexual intercourse in the third trimester is generally safe.  If you start having spotting, b...
How can I have a healthy pregnancy?
In general, eating nutritious food, exercising and avoiding medicines or activities that might harm ...
How can I reduce my risk for gestational diabetes?
Daniel R. Spogen, MDDaniel R. Spogen, MD
There are ways you can reduce your risk for gestational diabetes. Some are: Maintain a healthy w...