What are the dangers of anal sex during pregnancy?

Hilda Y. Hutcherson, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

It is best to skip anal intercourse during preg­nancy. Dilated veins around the anus during preg­nancy can be easily damaged and you don’t want to risk spreading bacteria from your anus to your va­gina, leading to an infection.

The Good in Bed Guide to Sex and the Baby Years

Available at a substantial discount for a limited time only, thanks to support from K-Y(R) Brand!Once you get down to the business of baby-making, the advice will pour in: books, magazines, in-laws,...

Continue Learning about Health & Pregnancy

Getting Ready for a New Baby—Safely
Getting Ready for a New Baby—Safely
In the film Away We Go, a young couple played by Maya Rudolph and John Krasinski are expecting their first child. When they learn his parents (their o...
How can I prevent nosebleeds when I'm pregnant?
Try applying Vitamin E or A & D ointment inside the nostril and add a humidifier to your room.
10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked
10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked
Can you drink coffee? Should you avoid your cat? An OBGYN weighs in. 
What Is Cryptic Pregnancy?
What Is Cryptic Pregnancy?