Are evening primrose oil supplements safe for pregnant or nursing women?

Not unless you want to induce labor. Evening primrose oil can help soften the cervix and cause contractions. Some midwives use it to induce labor, either by having patients take it orally or apply it topically. For this reason, it is not recommended for use until a woman is at least 34 weeks into pregnancy.

Continue Learning about Health & Pregnancy

Getting Ready for a New Baby—Safely
Getting Ready for a New Baby—Safely
In the film Away We Go, a young couple played by Maya Rudolph and John Krasinski are expecting their first child. When they learn his parents (their o...
What are the risks of smoking while pregnant?
The dangers of smoking during pregnancy include premature birth, certain birth defects (cleft lip or...
10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked
10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked10 Biggest Pregnancy Myths, Debunked
Can you drink coffee? Should you avoid your cat? An OBGYN weighs in. 
If I'm Pregnant, Should I Be Worried About Spotting?