What should I know before I start insulin therapy for gestational diabetes?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Many drugs can raise or lower blood sugar and lessen or intensify the effects of insulin. Be sure to tell your doctor about all drugs you are taking, including non-prescription drugs, before starting insulin.

Women with gestational diabetes should aim for a blood glucose of 95 mg/dL or below before meals and 140 mg/dL or below one hour after meals or 120 mg/dL two hours after meals.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes in Hawaii
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
How do other conditions affect gestational diabetes?
Other conditions can worsen the symptoms and complications of gestational diabetes. The most common ...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with gestational diabetes?
Pregnancy can be an exciting but challenging time for most women; having to manage gestational diabe...