How does pain in fibromyalgia differ from other chronic pain conditions?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
In fibromyalgia, tender points are seemingly unrelated areas on the body that are painful when pressed. Researchers have identified 18 areas that are typically tender when pressed.

People with fibromyalgia often find the tender point examination a little silly, and may ask their doctors, "But doesn't everyone find these spots tender when you press them?" The answer to this is a resounding "no!" At the University of Pittsburgh, we helped develop the tender point examination and studied these areas in people with fibromyalgia and other severe chronic pain conditions. We found that experiencing tenderness when these point areas were pressed was specific for fibromyalgia. Having many sensitive tender points occurs in fibromyalgia, but not in people with pain caused by other conditions -- such as muscle pain, pinched nerves, slipped discs, or arthritis.

People with other conditions may have several painful tender points, but they usually don't have as many, and they may also have other issues that help distinguish their symptoms from fibromyalgia. The most important message is that people with fibromyalgia have a different pattern of pain than do people with other chronic pain conditions.
The Woman's Fibromyalgia Toolkit: Manage Your Symptoms and Take Control of Your Life

The Woman's Fibromyalgia Toolkit tells readers what they need to know to take control of fibromyalgia symptoms. It includes step-by-step instructions for using effective non-drug treatments,...

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia

How to Cope with the Emotional Side of Fibromyalgia
Living with fibromyalgia can understandably trigger a lot of negative feelings about yourself, your life and your relationships. But if you can learn ...
Why was fibromyalgia originally considered a connective tissue disease?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Doctors originally described fibromyalgia as a connective tissue disease in the early 1800s. It was ...
What to Eat if You Have Fibromyalgia
What to Eat if You Have FibromyalgiaWhat to Eat if You Have FibromyalgiaWhat to Eat if You Have FibromyalgiaWhat to Eat if You Have Fibromyalgia
Can the foods you eat improve or worsen your fibromyalgia symptoms?
What Type of Doctor(s) Should I See If I Think I Have Fibromyalgia?