How many people have fibromyalgia?

Fibromyalgia is believed to affect about 5 million people in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control. About 3.4% of women and 0.5% of men are living with the disease.
Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)
Fibromyalgia, a chronic pain syndrome, is a widespread health problem. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), some 5 million Americans are living with fibromyalgia. It can be tough to diagnose, though: The National Fibromyalgia Association (NFA) says that it takes most people with the condition an estimated five years to get an accurate diagnosis.
Fibromyalgia, a chronic (ongoing) condition characterized by muscle pain and tenderness, fatigue and sleep problems, affects about 2% of the total population (or about 5 million adults). It affects around seven times more women than men. Children also can develop fibromyalgia, although most people are diagnosed during middle age.

The exact cause of fibromyalgia remains a mystery. But researchers have identified some factors that are associated with onset of the disease, including a genetic predisposition, emotional or physical trauma, obesity and certain illnesses.

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia

I Walked a Half Marathon with Fibromyalgia
Walking Against the Odds Here's the thing: I have to keep moving or I can't move! My fibromyalgia makes my whole body hurt, especially my hands, feet...
What is the difference between fibromyalgia and Lyme disease?
Unlike fibromyalgia, a bacterium called Borrelia burgdorferi is the cause of Lyme disease, which is ...
How do I find the right doctor to help me with my fibromyalgia?
Some people with fibromyalgia have difficulty finding a doctor who understands their condition. As a...
What Is Fibromyalgia?
What Is Fibromyalgia?