How effective is amitriptyline for the treatment of fibromyalgia?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Amitriptyline probably provides good pain relief for some people with fibromyalgia, but will not work for all of them. There is no evidence that it will improve sleep, fatigue, quality of life, or tenderness. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia Treatment

Why might blood pressure go up when treating fibromyalgia?
You may experience an increase in blood pressure as a side effect of taking certain medications for ...
How can cognitive behavioral therapy help in the treatment of fibromyalgia?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) helps in the treatment of fibromyalgia by changing how you th...
How Can I Tell If My Fibromyalgia Treatment Is Right?
What Are the Most Common Challenges People with Fibromyalgia Face?