When might the side effects of Lyrica start?

Some side effects of Lyrica may start as early as the first time you take the medication. These include hives, rash, blisters and wheezing and may mean you're allergic to Lyrica. Call your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms. Other side effects, including dizziness and sleepiness, may also occur soon after you start taking Lyrica. Mood changes or suicidal thoughts may occur after the first week. Again, call your doctor right away.

Weight gain, a common side effect, may occur gradually over several weeks or months of taking Lyrica. For more information about Lyrica and its side effects, talk to your pharmacist or doctor.
Not everyone experiences side effects from Lyrica, but among those who do, side effects that range from mild to severe can begin either at the start of Lyrica treatment or weeks into treatment.

For example, an allergic reaction to Lyrica, although rare, can happen shortly after treatment has begun, possibly causing hives, swelling of the face and throat, and trouble breathing. Such symptoms are a medical emergency, and you should call your doctor or 911 immediately. Other symptoms, such as weight gain, which happens in about 9% of people who take Lyrica, may occur gradually. Talk to your doctor and/or your pharmacist if you experience any side effects from taking Lyrica or have other questions related to treatment with Lyrica.

Continue Learning about Medications to Treat Fibromyalgia

Is Slow-Mag helpful for fibromyalgia pain?
MediGuardMediGuard
Slow-Mag contains 64mg of magnesium. Manganese and malic acid supplements have not been evaluated by...
What pain medications can I take for fibromyalgia if I am pregnant?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Here's a list of pain medications used to treat fibromyalgia during pregnancy: Acetaminophen: Gene...
What Are My Options for Fibromyalgia Treatment?
Hate Breaking a Sweat? Try Swimming
Hate Breaking a Sweat? Try Swimming