For what uses is Lyrica approved by the FDA?

Lyrica has two general uses: It calms pain and helps control seizures. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved Lyrica for the treatment of four medical conditions. They are:
  • fibromyalgia, a chronic condition that causes pain, fatigue, and other symptoms
  • pain related to nerve damage in people with diabetic peripheral neuropathy
  • post herpetic neuralgia, which is a condition causing long-term pain that can occur after a person has shingles
  • certain types of seizures.
Doctors may prescribe Lyrica for other conditions, too.

Continue Learning about Medications to Treat Fibromyalgia

How is pregabalin used to treat low back pain?
Pregabalin (Lyrica) is a drug that was developed to treat epilepsy. Pregabalin works by blocking ner...
What drugs are used to treat sleep problems caused by fibromyalgia?
National Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain AssociationNational Fibromyalgia & Chronic Pain Association
It is important for the doctor of a patient with fibromyalgia to discover whether there is a cause f...
What Does My Family Need to Know About My Fibromyalgia Treatment?
Why Are Antidepressants Sometimes Prescribed to Treat Fibromyalgia?