What should I avoid while taking Lyrica for fibromyalgia pain?

In one study, researchers studied people with fibromyalgia who took either a placebo (a "sugar pill" that doesn't contain medicine) or Lyrica in varying dosages. At the end of eight weeks, the people who experienced the greatest pain relief were those who took 450 milligrams (mg) of Lyrica a day. Of these people, 29% of them reported at least a 50% improvement in pain, compared with only 13% of people taking the placebo.

In another study, doctors gave 750 people with fibromyalgia either a placebo or Lyrica in daily doses of 300 mg, 450 mg, or 600 mg. At the end of 14 weeks, all three doses of Lyrica proved to reduce pain better than placebo.

In both of these studies, people who took Lyrica also noted improvements in their overall sleep compared with people who took placebos. Work with your doctor to see if Lyrica is right for you and if so, to find the optimal dose for you.
Like many medications, Lyrica can make you drowsy. For that reason, you should avoid drinking alcohol if you take Lyrica for fibromyalgia pain. The reason: The combination of Lyrica and alcohol could make you very drowsy, to the point of dozing off. Also, when you first start taking Lyrica, let someone else do the driving, at least until you know how this medication affects you.

Continue Learning about Medications to Treat Fibromyalgia

Can a prescription be a part of my overall fibromyalgia treatment regimen?
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved three drugs for fibromyalgia: pregabali...
What are the side effects of tramadol?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Tramadol can cause serotonin syndrome, a potentially life-threatening condition that occurs when hig...
How Can I Relieve Chronic Pain from Conditions Like Fibromyalgia?
Use Yoga to Soothe Pain and Sleep Better