Can a prescription be a part of my overall fibromyalgia treatment regimen?

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved three drugs for fibromyalgia: pregabalin, duloxetine and milnacipran. Your doctor may prescribe one of these drugs for you as well as other medicines for relieving pain, improving sleep, fighting depression, reducing stomach discomfort or relieving other symptoms you might be experiencing because of your fibromyalgia. Talk to your doctor about your symptoms. Together you can develop a treatment plan that's right for you.
A prescription medication is certainly part of your fibromyalgia treatment regimen. Right now there are three FDA approved fibromyalgia medications including duloxetine (Cymbalta), milnacipran (Savella), and pregabalin (Lyrica). These medications have brought relief to many men and women with fibromyalgia symptoms. Ask your doctor about prescriptions for fibromyalgia treatment. You may have to try two or three different prescription medications to find the one that works best for your symptoms. Once you find the right medication, you can enjoy reduced pain, less fatigue, better sleep, and an improved mood.
Jacob Teitelbaum
Integrative Medicine
Absolutely. People do best by combining a mix of natural and prescription therapies. My published research has shown that 91% of patients improve with an average 90% increase in quality of life by using this mix which we call "comprehensive medicine".
Prescription medications for fibromyalgia patients can be recommended by your physician. Currently, both lyrica and cymbalta are approved for use by the FDA.

These medications need to be dosed and followed carefully by a physician and side effects noted and discussed openly with your physician.

These medications should be taken in combination with a comprehensive treatment strategy which includes reducing stress, getting plenty of sleep, exercise, a healthy diet and psychosocial therapy.

Continue Learning about Medications to Treat Fibromyalgia

Can I take Lyrica with other medicines?
Courtney L. Lee, MDCourtney L. Lee, MD
If you take Lyrica, talk to your doctor or your pharmacist before taking any other medications. L...
How effective are pain medications in reducing fibromyalgia pain?
Dr. Jennifer N. Caudle, DODr. Jennifer N. Caudle, DO
There are great treatment options for fibromyalgia, especially if there is a comprehensive plan for ...
What Are the Symptoms of Fibromyalgia?
What Are the Symptoms of Fibromyalgia?
Hate Breaking a Sweat? Try Swimming
Hate Breaking a Sweat? Try Swimming