How does Lyrica treat fibromyalgia?

Fibromyalgia is characterized by widespread pain that can be concentrated in pressure points in the body, muscles or tendons. It can cause severe fatigue as well as pain from the slightest touch of a pressure point. Pregabalin, the main ingredient in Lyrica, was the first drug approved by the Federal Drug Administration (FDA) to treat fibromyalgia. Medications such as Lyrica that are used to treat seizures are often helpful in reducing fibromyalgia symptoms. This is because Lyrica is thought to reduce the number of over-excited pain signals that nerves give off. By affecting the communication between nerves in the body and pain receptors in the brain, Lyrica can reduce pain associated with fibromyalgia.

Continue Learning about Medications to Treat Fibromyalgia

How does tramadol treat fibromyalgia?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Tramadol (Conzip, Ultram) is a weak narcotic pain medication. It is sometimes prescribed for people ...
What is pregabalin?
Dr. Courtney L. Lee, MDDr. Courtney L. Lee, MD
Pregabalin is the generic name for the medication known by the brand name Lyrica. The U.S. Food ...
What Does My Family Need to Know About My Fibromyalgia Treatment?
Use Yoga to Soothe Pain and Sleep Better