What are the long-term side effects of Lyrica?

If you take Lyrica, over time you may notice some changes. For starters, you may gain a bit of weight. Though it may only be a few pounds, if you have diabetes, weight gain from Lyrica may require a change in your treatment plan. If you have cardiovascular disease, the added weight could strain your heart. 

Taking Lyrica may also cause you to develop swelling, especially in the arms, hands, feet, ankles, and lower legs. In some cases, particularly if swelling occurs in the tongue, mouth, or throat, it can be serious. Tell your doctor right away if you develop any swelling.

Ironically, some people who take Lyrica for pain develop sore muscles. Vision problems can occur, too. In rare cases, people who take Lyrica start to have suicidal thoughts. If you develop these or any other serious side effects while taking Lyrica, call your doctor right away. Other long-term side effects from taking Lyrica may be possible.

Continue Learning about Medications to Treat Fibromyalgia

Can a prescription be a part of my overall fibromyalgia treatment regimen?
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved three drugs for fibromyalgia: pregabali...
What pain medications can I take for fibromyalgia if I am pregnant?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Here's a list of pain medications used to treat fibromyalgia during pregnancy: Acetaminophen: Gene...
What Does My Family Need to Know About My Fibromyalgia Treatment?
Use Yoga to Soothe Pain and Sleep Better