How is Lyrica believed to work?

As with many medications, how Lyrica works is not entirely known. Lyrica is an oral medication (taken by mouth) that is used to prevent partial onset seizures and to treat certain types of pain. It provides pain relief and improves functioning in people who have certain health conditions. It is approved to treat fibromyalgia and nerve pain due to diabetes or the viral infection shingles, but exactly how Lyrica helps with these problems is not clear. Studies indicate that Lyrica may affect the release of chemicals known as neurotransmitters in the body. It may calm "overactive" nerves and block pain messages to the brain. More study is needed to determine what doctors call the "mechanism of action" of Lyrica, or simply put, how it works.
Lyrica (pregabalin) is believed to work by "quieting" overactive nerves and minimizing the pain signals they transmit in people who have fibromyalgia or nerve pain due to diabetes or shingles. Lyrica is also an anticonvulsant medication, meaning it can reduce seizures in people who are prone to them.

Lyrica may take several weeks to work. Often doctors will prescribe the lowest dose for the first week or so to make sure you don't have any serious side effects and that you tolerate the medication well, then build up to a more effective dose gradually. Talk to your own doctor or pharmacist about any questions you have about Lyrica.

Continue Learning about Medications to Treat Fibromyalgia

What pain medications can I take for fibromyalgia if I am pregnant?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Here's a list of pain medications used to treat fibromyalgia during pregnancy: Acetaminophen: Gene...
Why should I talk to my doctor about dose changes for fibromyalgia drugs?
Talk to your doctor about changing doses if your fibromyalgia medications aren't working for you...
How Can I Relieve Chronic Pain from Conditions Like Fibromyalgia?
What Does My Family Need to Know About My Fibromyalgia Treatment?