What causes face and jaw pain in fibromyalgia patients?

Although less common than other coexisting conditions, temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMJ) develops in about one-quarter of fibromyalgia patients. It's not entirely clear why, although stress may be a culprit. It causes people to clench and grind their teeth and may lead to spasms in the muscles of the jaw.

Continue Learning about Physical Effects of Fibromyalgia

How common is obesity in people with fibromyalgia?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Obesity is a global epidemic that affects approximately one-quarter of adults in the United Stat...
Can fibromyalgia damage my tissues or organs?
Fibromyalgia can be painful, but it does not damage muscle tissue or internal organs. Fibromyalgia i...
Is fibromyalgia life threatening?
Fibromyalgia is not life threatening. The disorder can be painful and uncomfortable, but it won't ca...
Can fibromyalgia put me at a higher risk for diabetes?
Fibromyalgia is a chronic medical condition affecting 2-4% of the population, and most commonly ...