Could a lack of sleep make my fibromyalgia worse?

A lack of sleep over time can make fibromyalgia worse because it can add to your fatigue and stress levels. Some researchers even believe that abnormal sleep might be a cause of fibromyalgia.

Sleep normally restores your energy and reduces stress. However, people with fibromyalgia seem to lack the phase of sleep known as non-REM, or non-rapid-eye-movement, sleep. This kind of sleep is important for restoring your energy.

If you are having difficulty with sleeplessness, talk with your doctor or healthcare provider. There are medications available that can help you get the sleep you need to better manage your fibromyalgia.

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia and Sleep

How does napping affect fibromyalgia?
Naps can't make up for a chronic lack of nighttime sleep -- a common problem for people with fibromy...
How can fibromyalgia affect my sleep?
For folks with fibromyalgia, falling asleep, staying asleep and sleeping deeply can be a struggle. S...
What questions should I ask myself about sleep habits and my fibromyalgia?
Getting enough or good quality sleep is often a problem for people with fibromyalgia: up to 90% of t...