Is there anything I can eat to help me manage fibromyalgia pain?

There are many "fad" diets proposed on the internet and elsewhere for fibromyalgia patients but there is no evidence which supports their use. Usually a healthy, balanced diet with vitamin supplements is all that is needed
Jacob Teitelbaum
Integrative Medicine
A low sugar, high protein diet can be very helpful. Natural remedies include things like curcumin (the yellow spice in Indian food) and even cherries have an anti-pain effect. Interestingly, a supplement called ribose which looks and tastes like sugar and can be used as sugar in food, taken at a dose of one and a half teaspoons three times a day, increase energy 61% and decrease pain dramatically in fibromyalgia patient. It can be used in place of sugar.
A balanced diet filled with healthy nutrients can help you stay well. Still, there is no diet "cure" for fibromyalgia. When you plan your meals, include plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables to get a diet high in antioxidants. Antioxidants help fight destructive chemicals in the body called free radicals. Experts believe that low antioxidants in the body may relate to an increase in muscle pain and greater fatigue. Some compounds such as malic acid in apples have been found to be helpful for fibromyalgia. Also, avoiding preservatives or additives is important, as many people with fibromyalgia have a sensitivity to chemicals in food. 
There are no magic foods that will ease fibromyalgia pain. Still, eating a healthy, balanced diet is important to staying well. Be sure to include foods high in antioxidants (vitamins A, C, and E) that can keep your immune system strong. Also, eat superfoods that are nutrient-dense or high in vitamins, minerals, amino acids, essential fatty acids and water.

There are interesting findings that B vitamins, particularly vitamin B12 and folate, may improve your mood and even help prevent memory loss. So if you have fibromyalgia, chow down on cheese, beef, fish, chicken, tuna and oysters to boost your mood and ease feelings of depression.

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia and Diet

Should I avoid yeast and gluten if I have fibromyalgia?
These two ingredients are not the same, but they appear in a lot of the same foods, especially baked...
How do omega-3 fatty acids help reduce fibromyalgia pain?
In a very small preliminary study involving people with nerve impingement syndromes, burn injuries, ...
How does caffeine affect fibromyalgia?
There's no evidence that caffeine aggravates fibromyalgia -- but too much of the stuff can cause dip...
Can My Diet Affect My Fibromyalgia?
Can My Diet Affect My Fibromyalgia?