How can I get more energy with fibromyalgia?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

It might seem difficult at first, but if you take good care of yourself with healthy eating, regular exercise and relaxation techniques, your energy levels will increase. Energy is sometimes hard to come by with fibromyalgia because of the pain, stress and fatigue associated with the condition. But, if you make healthy living a priority you will be surprised at the increase in your energy levels.

Try to exercise regularly. Start slow. For example, take the stairs instead of the elevator. Add some walking or other low-impact exercises. You could start even with a simple walk around the block. As you become more active, you will find that your energy increases. Regular exercise also will help you sleep better at night. You will wake up rested and filled with energy.

It's important to give your body the fuel it needs. Eat more whole grains, lean protein, fruits and vegetables. And take time to relax. You might enjoy a picnic lunch that allows you to slow down and have a moment to meditate. Relaxation will reduce your stress and give you more energy.

If you need help finding ways to get more energy with fibromyalgia, talk to your doctor or healthcare provider. Working together, step by step, you will learn to focus on what you can do to feel better and have more energy.

Continue Learning about Living With Fibromyalgia

How might my relationship be affected if I have fibromyalgia?
Dede BonnerDede Bonner
Fibromyalgia profoundly affects relationships, marriages, and long-term partnerships. Being in const...
How do I manage my fibromyalgia pain?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Managing your fibromyalgia will probably involve several types of treatment, rather than a singl...
Can I live a normal life with fibromyalgia?
You can certainly live a normal life with fibromyalgia, though you may need to rethink what norm...
How can I avoid flare-ups from fibromyalgia?
Dr. Jennifer N. Caudle, DODr. Jennifer N. Caudle, DO
Fibromyalgia is a complex condition that affects patients differently; it's important to know what y...