What questions will my doctor ask to diagnose fibromyalgia?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
Before your visit to the doctor, spend some time thinking about your fibromyalgia symptoms, so that you are prepared to answer these questions:
  • What are two to four of your most troublesome symptoms, and how do they affect you and your daily routine?
  • What other symptoms do you experience often?
  • Where do you expect to have pain on different days -- which areas of your body?
  • When did your symptoms first start? Did they start within a short time of having a traumatic injury?
  • Does anyone else in your family have fibromyalgia or symptoms similar to yours -- mom, dad, sisters/brothers, or children?
  • How many hours do you typically sleep at night? Do you feel rested after sleeping?
  • Has another doctor diagnosed you with fibromyalgia? Do you know what tests were ordered?
  • What has been done in the past to treat your fibromyalgia? Do your symptoms interfere with work or school, or cause you to miss out on family activities?
  • Do you have other medical conditions or health symptoms?
  • What medications (over-the-counter, prescription, and natural remedies/supplements/vitamins) do you use? What do you take when you have a fibro flare?
Answers to these questions will help your doctor make the proper diagnosis and start designing your individualized treatment program.
The Woman's Fibromyalgia Toolkit: Manage Your Symptoms and Take Control of Your Life

The Woman's Fibromyalgia Toolkit tells readers what they need to know to take control of fibromyalgia symptoms. It includes step-by-step instructions for using effective non-drug treatments,...

Continue Learning about Fibromyalgia Diagnosis

What can I expect if I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Unlike people with many other medical conditions, people with fibromyalgia have a good understan...
How can I help my doctor diagnose fibromyalgia?
To help your doctor diagnose fibromyalgia, keep track of and report all of your symptoms. Note any c...
Why Is Exercise Important to Managing Chronic Pain?
What Are Common Myths About Fibromyalgia?