Q

Fibromyalgia Diagnosis

What are the ACR criteria for fibromyalgia?

• A , Neurology, answered
    You may have fibromyalgia if you have had symptoms of about the same severity for at least 3 months and one of the following based on the new American College of Rheumatology (ACR) preliminary fibromyalgia diagnosis questionnaire:
    • A Pain Score of at least 7, and a Total Symptom Severity Score of at least 5.
    • A Pain Score between 3 and 6, and a Total Symptom Severity Score of at least 9.
    • A Fibromyalgianess Score of at least 13.
  • In 1990 the American College of Rheumatology (ACR) published diagnostic research criteria for fibromyalgia. It included a history of chronic and widespread body pain and the presence of at least 11 of 18 tender points that are revealed through a physical examination of the affected person. Pain is considered widespread when the following are present: pain in both sides of the body; pain above and below the waist. In addition, axial skeletal pain (cervical spine, anterior chest, thoracic spine or low back pain) must be present, all lasting for at least three months.
    1 person found this helpful.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
What should I ask if my doctor thinks I have fibromyalgia?