What is fetal movement?

Throughout intrauterine life the developing fetus is flexing and extending its extremities and total body, rolling side to side and doing flips, hiccupping and even expanding the thoracic as if to be practicing breathing. All of these activities are considered fetal movement. Fetal movement is visible on ultrasound imaging, palpable through the maternal abdomen and can be felt by the pregnant woman beginning between 16-20 weeks gestation. In the last couple of week of pregnancy, fetal movement may decrease due to the lack of space for stretching and rolling in the uterus.

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

Will I deliver my baby early if I have IUGR?
SwedishSwedish
If you have intrauterine growth restriction (IUGR) and your baby has stopped growing or has other pr...
Can I tell the gender of my baby by my belly shape?
Lots of people believe that the shape of their belly reflects the gender of the baby inside. Many th...
At what point in my pregnancy do I start counting my baby's kicks?
Count the KicksCount the Kicks
Typically you start monitoring fetal movements during the third trimester of your pregnancy, or at 2...
What is an embryo?
An embryo is the medical term used for a developing baby from the moment the fertilized egg implants...