What are apgar scores?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

The APGAR test is a way to evaluate the newborns transition from the intrauterine to extrauterine environment. Five characteristics are evaluated: activity, heart rate, reflex irritability, appearance, and respiration. Each characteristic is scored on a scale of 0 to 2 with 2 being the best score.

A score is given for each characteristic at one minute and five minutes after the birth. If there are problems with the baby an additional score may be given at 10 minutes. A score of 7-10 is considered normal, while infants with a score of 4-7 might require some resuscitative measures, and a baby with an APGAR of 3 and below requires immediate resuscitation.

At 1 minute and at 5 minutes after delivery, nurses will give your child an APGAR score to assess whether your baby may be at risk and need further close monitoring soon after birth. On a scale of 0-10 (10 being the best), the test measures appearance, pulse, grimace, activity, and respiration (a max of 2 points for each category). Don't worry; few babies get a perfect 10. That's because lots of babies lose points for having a bluish tint to their extremities.

YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

Can I tell the gender of my baby by my belly shape?
StoneSprings Hospital CenterStoneSprings Hospital Center
Your friends and family may enjoy looking at your belly and guessing the gender of your baby. Howeve...
Will I deliver my baby early if I have IUGR?
SwedishSwedish
If you have intrauterine growth restriction (IUGR) and your baby has stopped growing or has other pr...
When should pregnant women start feeling fetal movement?
Eastern Idaho Regional Medical CenterEastern Idaho Regional Medical Center
Pregnant women typically start feeling fetal movement during the second trimester, commonly between ...
What is the difference between gestational age and fetal age?
Stephen Clark, DOStephen Clark, DO
When we start talking about the length of pregnancy and the age of the baby, it can sometimes be...