What should I do if my unborn baby isn't growing properly?

The answer to that question really depends on how far along you are, and the decision about how to manage the situation comes down to weighing risks versus benefits.

Essentially, if you're far enough along (say, 38 weeks) but the baby is showing some signs of distress, your doctor will probably suggest you deliver. But if you're earlier in your pregnancy (say 30 to 32 weeks), at a time when your baby's lungs may not be fully developed, your doctor may want to take other precautions, like retesting a few hours to a few days later or putting you on bed rest.

The good news is that if the problem is related to inadequate fetal nutrition (as opposed to a genetic condition or inadequate blood flow to the uterus), the prognosis is usually good.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

When does the fetus develop the sense of balance?
You may think that babies don't need to have balance at all since they're not exactly standing or wa...
How is amniotic fluid used as a diagnostic tool for a fetus?
Amniotic fluid gives us clues as to what's happening developmentally in utero. Besides bathing in am...
How does music affect a developing fetus?
We encourage you to listen to all kinds of music during and after pregnancy. This will help stimulat...
Can a father's drinking harm his unborn baby?
How alcohol affects the male sperm is currently being studied. Whatever the effects are found to be,...