When do synaptic connections in the brain form?

Most of the synaptic connections form during the first year of life, a period during which the brain rapidly expands to near-adult size, and the total number of synapses approaches twice that seen in adults.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Fetal Development Basics & Pregnancy

Can I tell the gender of my baby by my belly shape?
Lots of people believe that the shape of their belly reflects the gender of the baby inside. Many th...
Which synaptic connections are formed first in a baby's brain development?
Interestingly, synaptic connections are formed in a particular order. First come the primary sen...
What are the advantages of bed rest during pregnancy?
Bed rest helps your situation by minimizing the need for your blood to provide energy to your body -...
When does the fetus develop the sense of balance?
You may think that babies don't need to have balance at all since they're not exactly standing or wa...