What should I talk to my doctor about if I'm pregnant and have headaches?

Dawn Marcus
Neurology
As soon as you know that you're pregnant, make an appointment to talk to your doctor about your headaches.

You will need to ask your doctor about:
  • Safe and effective non-drug treatments to control your headaches
  • Which medications you can safely take for pain and nausea
  • Which medications you can safely take to prevent headaches if this
           becomes necessary
  • What to do if your headaches get worse
Let your doctor know:
  • What your current headache pattern is like
  • If there has been any recent change in your headaches
  • If you are having any other medical problems besides headaches
  • What over-the-counter medications you are taking
  • What supplements, vitamins, minerals, and herbs you are taking
  • What prescription medications you are taking and who prescribed them
The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Dad’s Health Plays a Key Role in Baby’s Health
In the movie, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, Rick Moranis played the part of a Dad who did his kids more harm than good. But in real life, when his wife di...
Is it better to consult a doctor or a nurse-midwife for my pregnancy?
St. David’s HealthCareSt. David’s HealthCare
It is better to consult a doctor rather than a nurse-midwife for your pregnancy under certain circum...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
What Are the Risks for Pregnancy After Age 40?