What sleep medication can I take during pregnancy?

Paula Greer
Midwifery Nursing
Many pregnant women have nights where they can't sleep at all. This is different from the getting up and down for the normal trips to the bathroom in early pregnancy and again in the third trimester. Some women will try a cup of sleepytime herbal tea or some warm milk to help them get to sleep and even a long soak in the tub and gentle backrub from their partner. When homeopathic remedies fail some providers will suggest taking some over the counter Benadryl or Diphenhydramine in generic form. Before taking this or any over the counter herb or medicine you should check with your health care provider.
Dawn Marcus
Neurology
Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is considered to be relatively safe, and you can talk to your doctor about using it occasionally during pregnancy. Be sure to read the drug labels, because diphenhydramine may be combined with analgesics such as acetaminophen (Tylenol). Taking too much analgesic can result in medication overuse headaches, so use plain diphenhydramine if you don't need a painkiller. If you can't sleep for a prolonged period of time, such as four nights in a row, talk to your doctor.
The Woman's Migraine Toolkit: Managing Your Headaches from Puberty to Menopause (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

Migraines are a common, controllable type of headache that affects one in every six women, more than 20 million in the United States alone. The Woman’s Migraine Toolkit helps readers take charge of...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

6 Surprises in the First Trimester
6 Surprises in the First Trimester
This past spring, as the only physician in the ER, I delivered a family’s healthy, beautiful baby right there in the critical care room. I’ve spent th...
What can I do if I have constipation during pregnancy?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Constipation is a common complaint for pregnant women. Drinking plenty of fluids, exercising daily, ...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
What Is Hyperemesis Gravidarum?
What Is Hyperemesis Gravidarum?